Thursday 22 June 2023

Divine manifestation

 

The question of Judas, the son of James    v22-31

“Lord, how is it that thou wilt manifest thyself unto us, and not unto the world?”  Judas was one of the unknown among the apostles.  In all the lists of Jesus’ disciples, he always comes well down the scale.  And in fact, this is the first time we have heard anything from him. Yet in this question he demonstrates an understanding beyond the rest of the Apostles.  Peter was confused, Thomas doubted, and Phillip was bemused.  Judas, he asked the only real question which showed understanding of the situation.  He does not say why will they manifest themselves to us and not to the world? He says how? Jesus  recognised the wisdom of the question, and in answering brings us even closer to the wonderful truth.  Just as God, in olden times, manifested Himself to His servants, so Christ will manifest Himself to His disciples in His absence.  The answer of Jesus is sublime; He says “…if a man loves me, He will keep my words and my Father will love him, and we will come to Him and make our abode with him.”   God is moving in with you, coming into your home, joining with you in your life.  He says, we will reveal ourselves to you, in ways that the world would not understand.  However it is conditional on your love for us, that we have your affection, that we are priority for you.  Those that love me not don’t keep my sayings.  To love us is to obey us, to keep my sayings.  New life is never seen in terms of profession, but in terms of real practical living.  The words Jesus spoke were not His, but the Fathers’ who sent Him. “These things have I spoken unto you, being yet present with you but the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, Him the Father will send in my name; He shall teach you all things and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you. Peace, I leave with you; my peace. I give unto you, not as the world giveth, give I unto you.   Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid”.  

Judas understood there was going to be some kind of spiritual revelation by the Holy Spirit who is coming to be with us.  This answered his question; however, he also understood the whole process was conditional on obedience to the word, and on keeping His sayings.  God does not reveal himself to those who are opposing him, even by just ignoring Him.  Ye have heard how I have said unto you, I go away and come again unto you.  If ye loved me, ye would rejoice because I go to my Father.  For my Father is greater than I.”  If you really love me, you'll be pleased for me, because I'm going back home.  I am telling you now before it comes, so that when the time of my departure comes, ye might believe.  It is repeated in scripture that God pre-warns His people of impending and important events.   Hereafter I will not talk much with you, for the Prince of this world cometh and hath nothing in me”-all His concentration now must be on the task before Him in which there will be major demonic activity.  This would be part of His soul suffering as He warded off the attacks of Satan to veer Him away from duty to His Father.  This unseen battle would rage from now on, and His time for teaching was almost over.  Now He must finish the work, and the Prince of this world shall have no response from Him.  But that the world may know that I love the Father, and as the Father gave me commandment, even so do I, arise, let us go hence.”  There is to be no recovery for the Prince of this world, but there is hope for the world’s people.  So that they know His devotion is to His Father, He demonstrates love for His Father by obeying His commandments.  That particular commandment was to proceed to the cross with all its shame and suffering, and nothing now would hinder His progress, not even Satan.  Thus the upper Room ministry came to an end, although His teaching will continue as they walk outside through the vineyards, and eventually into the garden where they arrested Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment