Wednesday 5 April 2023

Jesus the light of the world

 

John 17v6, He speaks of “thy word”-the general term; in v8 He says, “I have given unto them the words which thou gavest me; and they have received them.”  The evidence that they were in relationship to God was that they received His words.  Paul says a similar thing in 1st Timothy 6v3-5, “If any man teach otherwise and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ and to the doctrine, which is according to godliness, he is proud, knowing nothing but doting about questions and strifes of words whereof cometh envy, strife, railings, evil surmisings, perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds and destitute of the truth…”

Such were the rulers of Israel, and such are many today, who profess godliness but have no reality.

They continued in their stubborn ignorance, and resorted in typical style to insults-“Say we not well that thou art a Samaritan (the most hated nation in Israel) and hast a devil” (the greatest insult to a man of God.)  When rational thinking disappears, insincere men, especially religious ones, resort to wild accusations.  Jesus answers them straight, “I have not a devil; but I honour my Father, and ye do dishonour me.  And I seek not mine own glory: there is one that seeketh and judgeth.  Verily, verily,  I say unto you.  If a man keep my saying, he shall never see death.”

He simply says that no one who honours the Father has a devil; that He is not here to seek glory for Himself. There's only One who seeks glory for Himself, and every right to do so, that is the Father.  And He's the only one who can judge, not them, who have indulged in offensive insults.  He again asserts His Deity when he says that those who follow His teachings (unlike them) will have eternal life-only God can offer this. The issues are that great; it is not about public debate, it is about relationship to God.  The word “see” in the phrase, “shall never see death” is very strong.  According to Westcott, the sight here mentioned is that of “a long, steady, exhaustive vision, whereby we become slowly acquainted with the nature of the object to which it is directed.”   When the gospel of the Lord Jesus comes to my soul, and I keep His saying by faith, I am turned full circle.  My back is to death, and my face is towards life eternal.” (Spurgeon)  Jesus only ever spoke of things that were real.  He constantly turned the attention of His hearers away from their own pre-conceptions to the realities of eternity.  Their need was greater than they imagined.

Lost in their own darkness, the Jews said unto Him, “Now we know that thou hast the devil.  Abraham is dead, and the prophets and thou sayest If a man keep my sayings, he shall never taste of death.  Art thou greater than our father Abraham which is dead and the prophets are dead: whom makest thou thyself?”  Who do you think you are?”  Again, His answer was clear.  I know exactly who I am.  

If I honour myself, my honour is nothing.  It is my Father that honoureth me, of whom you say that He is your God.  Yet you have not known Him, but I know Him.  And if I should say I know Him not, I shall be a liar like unto you; but I know Him and keep His saying.”

The way to answer scepticism is to assert the truth time and time and time again.  He continues, not only do you not know God as your father, you don't really know Abraham your father. For “Your father, Abraham rejoiced to see my day and he saw it and was glad.”  This is expanded in the great chapter of faith, Hebrews chapter 11v10-16 where it is evident that the promises given to Abraham were so vast and their concept such that it was impossible they would be fulfilled in his day, or concerning his nation only.  Abraham saw greater things and these are Indicated as follows: ”For he looked for a city which hath foundations whose builder and maker is God.  Through faith also Sarah herself received strength to conceive seed, and was delivered of a child when she was past age because she judged Him faithful who had promised; therefore sprang there even of one and him as good as dead, so many as the stars of the sky in multitude, and as the sand which is by the seashore, innumerable.  These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of them, and embraced them, and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth.  For they that say such things declare plainly that they seek a country.  And truly, if they had been mindful of that country from whence they came out, they might have had opportunity to have returned. But  now they desire a better country, that is in heavenly, wherefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for He hath prepared for them a city.”  It should have been obvious that this promise has not yet been fulfilled, that the City of God is not yet visible on earth, that Abraham's vision has yet to be realised?  And only in his seed, that is Christ, will the promises be fulfilled, and all nations will be blessed.  The fatal danger of spiritual ignorance!  The final truth was about to be spoken. They said to Him “Thou art not yet 50 years old and hast thou seen our father Abraham?  His reply was awesome. “Verily, verily, I said to you, before Abraham was I am!”

He existed before Abraham; He existed before everything, before the worlds were made.  He is the Eternal Son of the Eternal God who lives in the eternal present- who never had a beginning and will never have an end.  He has been present in every generation of time, and He has been actively present during all those times, and will ever be actively present at all times.  He is the Great I am, He will be whatever He will be; He will be whatever we need Him to be.  This is our God and He has come amongst us. We either accept Him or reject Him. The Jews rejected Him. They took up stones to stone Him, but He moved out of their midst.  Nothing they can do until God allows it.

No comments:

Post a Comment