Tuesday 4 July 2023

The Coming One

 

A little while     v16-28         Jesus is so aware of the pain in the hearts of His disciples that He seeks to calm them by putting things in perspective.  For some time now He has been telling them He will depart, that His bodily presence on earth with them is limited, and the time of departure is imminent.  He uses the phrase “a little while” many times in the chapter-v16, 17, v18, v19.  He has them talking about it to fix in their minds how short the parting will be.  Gently, He renews their minds to calmly accept what is before them, repeating the assurance that He will come again, and they will see them.  It is not goodbye, it is until we meet again.  Regularly, He has been telling them that He is going back to the Father-chapter 7v33; 12v35; 13v33; and now 16v16-19.  To understand what He is saying here we must view it as a future return, for He is returning after going to the Father, just as He said in promise in chapter 14-“…if I go, I will come again, and receive you unto myself.”  The disciples needed this comfort for they were facing unexpected sorrows, and would need every encouragement. 

“A little while and ye shall not see me; and again a little while and ye shall see me because I go to the Father.  Then said some of His disciples amongst themselves, what is this that He saith to us a little while and ye shall not see me, and again a little while, and ye shall see me, and because I go to the Father? They said therefore what is this He said, a little while? We cannot tell what He said.  Now Jesus knew that they were desirous to ask Him, and said to them, do you inquire among yourselves of that I said, a little while and ye shall not see me, and again a little while and ye shall see me?  Verily, verily I say unto you that ye shall weep and lament, but the world shall rejoice, and ye shall be sorrowful; but your sorrow shall be turned into joy. A woman, when she is in travail, hath sorrow because her hour is come; but as soon as she is delivered of the child, she remembereth no more the anguish for joy that a man is born into the world.  And ye now therefore have sorrow, but I will see you again, and your heart shall rejoice, and your joy no man taketh from you.”

The disciples were confused, not fully understanding what He was saying.  Jesus often spoke without explanation, and, indeed, the bible does, for we are to think about what He is saying, to ruminate, to meditate on the things of God.  This is how we learn, as we consider the sacred words.  Divine things are not always easy to understand, and sometimes they are presented in proverbs, and sayings and symbols-as they say, a picture tells a thousand words.  The little while here is not the cross or the tomb when He was separated from them, rather is it this period of grace when He is in heaven and His living disciples are on earth.  The context is of Him going to the Father and this is the little while He is speaking about.  Paul described the present separation as being “…our light affliction which is but for a moment…”-2nd Corinthians 4v17; Hebrews 10v37 describes the present time as “a little while”, awaiting His coming-“For yet a little while, and He that shall come will come, and will not tarry.”

Jesus then describes the present time of waiting as a time of sorrow and lament, while the world rejoices.  He likens it to the pain of childbirth, a period of trauma, followed by extreme joy when all the pain is over.  The hymnwriter catches the mood:     “A little while of mingled joy and sorrow.  A little while to love and serve below.  To wait the dawning of that blessed morrow.  When morn shall break upon this night of woe”   Mrs. Bancroft-hymns of light and love 509.  He has been away for nigh on 2000 years, but, in terms of eternity it is but a moment.  The biblical perspective is that a day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as a day-Psalm 90v4 and 2nd Peter 3v8.  The ongoing and never ending ages of eternity are before us, and so this time of waiting and of weeping is just “a little while”.  Provision is made for that time in the form of prayer fellowship;  In that day ye shall ask me nothing.  Verily, verily, I say unto you, whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name, He will give it you.  Hitherto ye have asked nothing in my name: ask and ye shall receive that your joy may be full.  These things have I spoken unto you in proverbs, but the time cometh when I shall no more speak unto you in proverbs, but I shall show you plainly of the Father.   In that day ye shall ask in my name, and I say not unto you that I will pray the Father for you.  For the Father Himself loveth you because ye have loved me and  believed that I came out from God.  I came forth from the Father and have come into the world: again, I leave the world and go to the Father.”

Prayer contact, directly to the Father in His name is readily available to every believer.  These prayers will be answered in many different ways, and in every situation.  We can petition God the Father, the supreme power in the universe, who can effect His will in every event.  This promise of prayer contact with the Supreme being is surely the greatest privilege, and should be the greatest power to assist us during the little while of separation, until the Lord returns.  This unique promise to all His people is worth more than all this world can provide, and is more than equal to every evil the world can bring upon us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment