Wednesday 5 July 2023

Real pressure, real peace

 

In me peace, in the world tribulation    v29-33

At this, the disciples suddenly understood, and so they were ready for the task ahead.  They proclaimed “Now are we sure that thou knowest all things, and needest not that any man should ask thee; by this we know that thou camest forth from God.”  This is a decisive acknowledgment by the disciples of His Deity, and His mission, and all doubts were now dispelled.  However Jesus cautions humility, for they were about to be plunged into unexpected challenges, and needed to be prepared.  They expressed faith but that will be tested.

“Jesus answered them, do ye now believe? Behold, the hour cometh, yea is now come, that ye fish. shall be scattered every man to his own, and shall leave me alone: and yet I am not alone because the Father is with me.  These things have I spoken unto you that in me ye might have peace.  In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.” 

Those of us of faith have a tendency to overstate our faith, and the early disciples were no different.  We should hear His salutary warning here, saying that faith will be tested.  He said I want you to have peace in me, but for sure you will have tribulation in the world, and such tribulation as will test you to the limit.  Tribulation is thlipsis which means pressure, affliction, anguish, persecution, injustice, distress-real trouble that will test faith to the limit.  Peter called it “trial by fire”, involving real pain.  Jesus will endure more, He will be afflicted beyond anything they will experience and they are to rest in His victory.  He went through everything they would go through and more.  He overcame, so will they.

No comments:

Post a Comment