Wednesday 9 August 2023

Simon, son of Jonas, do you love me?

 

Feeding      The challenge to Peter, his ultimate restoration and commission to leadership.  This restoration to leadership was done in the presence of the other disciples.  The others would get to know, and when we read the book of the Acts we see they recognised this.  But first Peter must learn the deep issues involved.

15-17 “So when they had dined, Jesus saith to Simon Peter, Simon son of Jonas lovest thou me more than these? He saith unto Him, yea Lord thou knowest that I love thee.  He saith unto him, feed my lambs.  He saith to him again the second time, Simon son of Jonas lovest thou me?  He saith unto Him, yea Lord thou knowest that I love thee.  He saith unto him, feed my sheep.  He saith unto him the third time, Simon son of Jonas lovest thou me?  Peter was grieved because He said unto him the third time lovest thou me?  And he said unto him, Lord thou knowest all things, thou knowest that I love thee; Jesus said to him feed my sheep.”

We take note of the many wonderful things that are here:

·      Jesus addressed Peter by his old name, Simon son of Jonas.  He was reminding him of the propensity in all of us to revert to the old nature, and live as we did in unconverted days.  Oftentimes, Jacob who had his name changed to Israel was referred to as Jacob, the deceitful man, the man who manipulated his way through life.  Jesus indicates here that his reversion to fishing, which he had left to serve Christ was a backward step to the old ways of self-determination rather than waiting on the Lord.

·      This may have been in the mind of the Lord when He said “lovest thou me more than these?”  Do you love fishing more than you love me?  It is a relevant question for all of us.  He had been called from the lucrative trade of fishing to highest service, and now had, temporarily lapsed back, due to inactivity, which did not suit Peter’s nature.  It is a relevant question, what is priority in my life, my business or the Lord?  This goes to where the heart is-remember that Jesus taught them that where their treasure is there will the heart be.  Peter’s actions revealed where his heart was, and the Lord digs very deep.  Paul could say that to follow Christ, he had suffered the loss of all things; Peter the same-we have left all to follow thee.  Yet the Lord poses the question, as if to say, very quickly, Peter, you have had a hankering after the old life, where is your heart really?  Peter appeals to Jesus supreme knowledge, thou knowest that I love thee.  OK, then said Jesus, the evidence that you love me will be that you will feed my lambs.  His role is now not to be engaged in his own business, using his own expertise, but to be engaged in the work of providing food for the lambs, for the young members of the flock of God who need feeding.  Some have asked, why does the Lord mention the lambs before the sheep?  It has been said by those who tend sheep that if you have contented lambs, you have a contented flock.  Interesting observation and it is also true with the people of God.  Provision of fresh, healthy pasture is important, especially where the young in the faith are concerned. 

·      Jesus asks for the second time, do you love me Peter?  This time he deepens the meaning of love, using the Greek word agape.  Previously He had used phileo which is brotherly love.  Now He asks, do you really love me Peter, would you really give up everything for me, would you even sacrifice yourself for me in a kind of love that knows no limits, Peter do you love me like that?  He replies in the positive, but uses phileo in reply; this is best translated, Yes Lord you know that I am very fond of you, and you are a big part of my life, I may not go as far as you suggest but I do love you in a brotherly kind of way.  Jesus says “Feed my sheep”-the word is more than feed, it is tend to every need of the mature sheep.  Now says Jesus, love to me will involve tending to the sheep.  The word for tend is pomaino which involves more than feeding and refers to the whole work of shepherding, tending to every need.  This is a comprehensive word, translated feed 7 times, rule 4 times.  The work of the shepherd is many sided, and involves the whole range of needs; This is summed up in 1st Thessalonians 5v14-“…warn the unruly, comfort the feeble minded, support the weak, be patient unto all.”  Peter, himself, who became an elder, encouraged fellow elders to “Feed the flock of God which is among you, taking the oversight thereof not by constraint but willingly, not for filthy lucre (ungodly gain) but of a ready mind”-1st Peter 5v2.  Only sacrificial love for the Lord will enable a man to fulfil this work, and it will take every strength you can muster.  Only love beyond even brotherly love will enable you for this.

·      Jesus said to him for the third time, do you love me?  This time Jesus changed the word love back to phileo-ordinary brotherly love.  Peter was grieved-greatly upset, that He  asked him a third time, and reduced the level of love.  Jesus had touched a raw nerve.  Three times Peter had denied Him, now three times Jesus challenged his love for Him.  We need to understand our weakness, we need to be aware of our imperfection as we serve Him.  Perhaps he was grieved because He downgraded the word love, and Peter made no claim to the greater.  In the presence of one who knew all things, who knew him inside out, who knew him better than he knew himself, Peter settled for the lesser brotherly love.  Jesus said, therefore feed my sheep, provide spiritual food for them to keep them.  Don’t just say you love me, provide for my sheep!

No comments:

Post a Comment